Saturday, November 13, 2010

Last Minute Gardens

Fall is here but before it arrived we were able to get lots of plantings in the ground. This statement probably sounds completely opposite to traditional growing ideology. But because of our particular microclimate we won’t see really cold weather until January, which means there’s still time for growing. Unfortunately the light is shifting so we don’t have as many daylight hours. And this effects the plants. But because we got them in the ground in time, they should have a couple of months to get big and strong before the first frost.

Just as the weather is changing so are many things in my life. I officially handed over the reigns of my title as farm manager to our new managers. I was just filling in for them a couple of months as there was a gap. I’ve also changed houses. I just moved into my new abode, which is a strawbale cottage. It’s a little smaller but still sweet. In fact my deck (that overlooks the valley and the Pacific ocean) also has a hammock. But I’m still in major transition mode as my role is changing and finding my exact place with it.


Contemplating how to align the new bed (that's me in the red hat)


Beautiful new bed for bell beans...look at that soil!


Planting fava beans

No comments:

Post a Comment