Monday, July 6, 2009

Aliyah Ba’Regel

One new backpack, 25 kilometers, and 3 days later we completed one more field trip to Jerusalem but this time in the ancient tradition of aliyah ba’regel, which means to “go up by foot”. Two thousand years ago this was the tradition for the 3 major holidays Shavuot, Passover, and Sukkot, for all Jews to walk and arrive in Jerusalem and give a sacrifice to the temple on the day of the holiday. And this is just what we did. We started in Modi’in hiking through national parks, stopping by natural springs and having many mikvahs to arrive at the Western Wall in Jerusalem.



This was my first major hiking experience. Before this I had lots of experience in day hikes and camping but not a long trip where you carry all your food and water you need. I finally took the plunge and bought myself a brand new Gregory backpack. It is beautiful and fits me like a glove, def worth the money because it made the hike so much easier. I had a lot of weight on me carrying so much but I was able to accomplish the trip without any blisters and very minimal chaffage.





We hiked through some gorgeous parts of Israel; ancient trails that have been in use for thousands of years. We passed the oldest natural forest in Israel, mountains filled with deep dark caves, Arab towns, and many natural springs. One of the nights we slept by this natural spring under a mulberry tree that must have been 500 years old. It was a stunning location.



The most amazing part of this journey was the satisfaction I felt arriving in Jerusalem. Knowing now how capable my body is and the endurance I have makes me feel so alive. We hiked all the way into Jerusalem to the cotel. There we did a ceremony and a sacrifice in the ancient tradition. Our ceremony consisted of a meditation circle and blessing. Before the trip we harvested wheat from the field by our farm and ground it by hand. We made pita from it and offered it as our sacrifice as well as the remainder wheat we harvested. Having a beer and some watermelon finished off the ceremony. It was all so beautiful and magical. I really felt connected to old ways. I have been on this course since my arrival in Israel but I no longer feel like I am a Jew but I feel as though I am a Hebrew. Going back to the original laws and traditions our ancestors practiced here. I’ve wanted to write an entire blog entry about this transition and will do at some point soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment